Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Best in Show

As a follow up to last week’s post, the day the boy was born was also the happiest of my life.  Yes, I believe you can have more than one happiest day.

 It was also one of the most stressful, as due to medical error, he was delivered by emergency Caesarian.  I distinctly remember hurriedly scrubbing to go to the delivery OR and praying that he would be all right as they had lost the fetal heartbeat which helped precipitate the procedure.  In the end, I was glad they did the C-section as his umbilical cord had wrapped around his neck.   Being a precocious boy, he still has a tendency to get himself into trouble, but usually of the good kind.

This past weekend, we entered the Pack 53 Pinewood Derby.  The design that he choose was a Soviet T-34 tank of the World War II era.  It turned out to be as slow as the original (although it won 2 of 4 heats), but won the “best looking” award in his age group.  I think it was because little boys like militaria, rather than the true quality of our entry.

It was a fun day, and rewarding to have spent the time working with him on the entry, and even more enjoyable to see his face light up with his award.

Yep, I am proud of the boy and not just for his trophy.  He is becoming quite the young gentleman, and remains one of my happy thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! His Godfather also had an emergency c-section due to cord problems, and won an award at the Soap Box Derby with a tank model (it aactually did pretty well!) We have way too many parallels my friend.
    Bill+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. I can only hope he turns out as well as yours. I pray by the mercy of God, he does.

      Enjoy Charleston, I'll be praying that it is spiritually refreshing and encouraging for you both.

      Delete