Thursday, April 5, 2012

Renewal of Vows

Tuesday (4/3) was the Liturgy of Collegiality at the Cathedral in Springfield.  I always enjoy these events, despite the busy-ness of Holy Week, as we really do not see much of our fellow clerics throughout the year.  It is always a good time for serious conversation punctuated with moments of high hilarity.  Actually, it may be more the latter than the former.

Part of the liturgy is the renewal of our ordination vows.  Between renewals and actual ordination, I have made these vows at least 11 times, and I am continually aware that often I fall short of the vows that I made.  When that awareness rises to the surface, I give thanks for the grace of God to always begin again. 

So here, in the hopes of accountability is the order for the renewal of vows.

Bishop: Dear friends, the ministry we share is none other than the sacrificial ministry of Christ, who gave himself up to death on the cross for the salvation of the world. By his glorious resurrection he has opened for us the way of everlasting life. By the gift of the Holy Spirit he shares with us the riches of his grace.
We are called to proclaim his death and resurrection, to administer the Sacraments of the New Covenant which he sealed with his blood on the cross, and to care for his people in the power of the Spirit.
Do you here, in the presence of Christ and his Church, renew your commitment to your ministry, under the pastoral direction of your bishop?
Answer: I do.
Bishop: Do you reaffirm your promise to give yourself to prayer and study?
Answer: I do.
Bishop:  Do you reaffirm your promise so to minister the Word of God and the Sacraments of the New Covenant that the reconciling love of Christ may be known and received?
Answer: I do.
Bishop: Do you reaffirm your promise to be a faithful servant of all those committed to your care, patterning your life in accordance with the teachings of Christ, so that you may be a wholesome example to your people?
Answer: I do.
Bishop: And now, as your bishop, I, too, before God and you, re-dedicate myself and reaffirm the promises that I made when I was ordained. I ask your prayers.
Bishop and Clergy: May the Lord who has given us the will to do these things, give us also the grace and power to perform them.

What are your thoughts about the ordering of these vows, and will you help me to fulfill the vows I have made?

1 comment:

  1. Renewal of vows is one of the ministry highlights of my year. There is something just astonishingly holy, breathtaking and humbling, to stand at the altar with such dear friends in ministry, reaffirm our vows with our bishop, and accept that our shortfalings are covered by grace so that we may begin again.

    ReplyDelete