Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Gregory Nazianzen "The Theologian"

Gregory of Nazianzus, also known as Gregory The Theologian, was ordained against his will in 361.  Gregory was born in what is now Turkey, and known at the time as Cappadocia.  With Basil "the Great" and Gregory of Nyssa, he shares the title of "Cappadocian Father. He was a supporter of the Orthodox position, and specifically Basil, in the latter's struggle with the Arian Emperor Valens.  Ultimately, Gregory was invited to lead a theological mission to Constantinople, and it was there that his the theological quality of his mind and sermons were noticed.  By popular consent, he was acclaimed the Bishop of Constantinople in 380 at the Church of Hagia Sophia.  After the Council of Constaninople in 381, he retired to Nazianzus and died in 389.


Little well known is that Gregory was a religious poet.  What follows are two brief poems from Browlie's translation, available at CCEL.
 An Evening Hymn

I
Now at this evening hour,
O Thou, my Christ, to Thee,
Thou Word of God, Eternal Light,
All grateful praises be.
II
From Thee the Spirit comes,
Third beam of peerless light,
And in Thyself one glorious orb
The triple rays unite.
III
Thy word and wisdom Thou
To lighten man hast given,
That he the splendour might reflect
That shines superb in heaven;
IV
And having light within,
Might see Thine image bright,
And daily rise, till he himself


A Morning Hymn

I
The morning breaks, I place my hand in Thine,
My God, ’tis Thine to lead, to follow mine;
No word deceitful shall I speak the while,
Nor shall I stain my hand with action vile.
II
Thine be the day with worthy labour filled,
Strong would I stand to do the duty willed;
Nor swayed by restless passion let me be,
That I may give the offering pure to Thee;
III
Else were I ’shamed when hoary age I see,
Shamed were this board that bears Thy gifts to me:
Mine is the impulse; O my Christ, I pray,
Be Thou Thyself to me the Blessed Way!

The Collect for St. Gregory Nazianzus:
Almighty God, you have revealed to your Church your eternal Being of glorious majesty and perfect love as one God in Trinity of Persons: Give us grace, that like your bishop Gregory of Nazianzus, we may continue steadfast in the confession of this faith, and constant in our worship of you, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; for you live and reign for ever and ever. Amen.

                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment